When we think of discipline we normally think in terms of disciplining our children, or we reflect on times that our parents disciplined us. Discipline is almost always considered a consequence of a result from some action that has been taken. It seems that discipline is always considered a punishment.
Many words have multiple meanings and uses, therefore the reader or listener determines their own perception. Hang with me for just a moment while we think about the words we use. That apple is green, when in fact, the apple is red and yellow in color and we use the word green to mean that it isn’t ripe yet. A Granny Smith apple is always green so how can we determine if it’s ripe when it doesn’t change colors. That’s simple; you bite into it and if it’s good you eat it and if not, you throw it away. We seldom say exactly what we mean; neither do we use the best word or phrase to express ourselves. Surely the weatherman doesn’t want to always sound negative but they do when they say “There is a 40% chance of rain today,” which is negative. Wouldn’t it be much more positive to say, “There is a 60% chance of no rain today?” [Read more…]